Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Inspiration: Chuck Klosterman

After reading numerous articles by Chuck Klosterman and taking in account how much of an influence he has been in my point of views, I've decided to embrace Mr. Klosterman. As I sat down reading Radio is History, I became familiar with his style of writing. I was struck by how he took to mean Rush's 1980 "Spirit of the Radio" and diffused it into his piece of Satellite Radio vs. FM. And not to mention his clever footnotes making it feel as if you are interacting with the material at hand. As some of you know my feelings towards FM, I could not help come to an accord with Chuck. I remember putting the article down and thinking, "Have I met Chuck before?" I did not think anything else of it as I finally put Esquire magazine down and fell asleep. But, then came The Ethics Paradox, how Chuck put a vomiting man in a wheelchair and a documentary by Ralph Nader plus Klosterman himself wanting to become a hippie (just because he wanted to) and the new NIN's album[1] spellbinded me as he made it all come together.

So... come to find out, Mr. Klosterman also wrote for Spin Magazine (My Back Pages[2]). Where he wrote some amazing pieces[3]! I recall an excerpt where he states Billy Corgan[4] fits in the following categories:

...the kind of artists who give interviews are (a) people who aspire to be recognized, and (b) people who have lost that recognition and want some of it back.

He goes on to compare his band mates to Michael Jordan's team buddies (due to Billy equating himself to MJ). I never did understood the press and how it dealt with Billy and their last album, thanks to Chuck, I grasp the press' point of view more heartily (only on Corgan). Now that Billy and the Pumpkins are back I'm curious to find out what Chuck has to say. (Do not deserve to be called Smashing, since their disbandment in 2000, and honestly... I thought they would not ever reform) [4 1/2].

Mr. Klosterman has also writing a number of fine books, being my favorite Chuck Klosterman IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas. A collection of articles, previously published columns, and a semi-autobiographical novella.

I've also decided to post various articles of Klosterman when published by Esquire[5], and maybe put a few of his classic bits and pieces from past magazines and talk to you about that other fascinating book with the electric guitar on the cover[6].

<------- Click away on the blue writing (good stuff) -------->

[1] Year Zero
[2] Chuck worked with illustrator James Jean
[3] My Akron year, Marilyn Manson, and the four millionth death of commercial radio
A year of magical thinking glimpsed through the lens of the craziest Spin ever
Ethically pure grunge and cokehead Britpop prove that history is bunk half the time
[4] Billy Corgan, rock godhead, and what to make of celebrity interviews
[4 1/2)] This ought to be a footnote
[5] Now working with David Hughes (does not like the illustrator label)
[6] Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story

PS: I am a fan of The Smashing. How can I not be after Billy found refuge teaming up with New Order right after their collapse on NO's Get Ready album.

No comments: