Monday, September 3, 2007

Endorsement: Miami Metrorail

Local post... Staying local, for once! ALL ABOOOOARD!



Even though the now existing Miami Metrorail system is limited to certain areas, I’m sure everyone can find a way to reap the benefits, other than commuting to work. Last week on my day off I decided to take the Miami Metrorail. I hopped in my car with three things that we cannot live without these days: cellular, camera and iPod. I felt excited and liberated as I drove towards the Metro Station. Even though it was a one day adventure, I felt I was going on vacation… by myself. I mean… I packed a bag, paid for a parking space, bought a ticket and went through a gate. How could I not feel I was on holiday? Honestly, the journey was sort of an out-of-Miami experience. Maybe it had to do with the nonchalant day I decided to have, maybe it was the people coming in and out of the train. Possibly not being stuck in traffic and deciding to head to Sunset Place to catch a movie was a good one-day vacation to take! Just not being in my car and not listening to wind whooshing between my songs AND having a chauffeur for a day was definitely a feeling of carpe diem. I felt tranquility listening to yet another self-made soundtrack chosen by my iPod (shuffle mode). The music synchronizing itself with the movement of the metro and the visual affects beaming through each window, was a positive indication that it was going to be no ordinary day. Ah, and is it not nice just to listen to the sound of the railroad tracks as the music fades away or as it abruptly stops, just to start shortly after, keeping me in my own recording studio.


Art in Public Places Above: Inspired by the orientation of the Palmetto Metrorail Station, Miami artist Robert Huff conceived East/West to harmonize with the busy lifestyle of passengers on their daily commute. The hand glazed ceramic tiles provide a visual system linked to the change of light and color throughout the day. Upon entering the platform, the variations of color on the support system reflect the warm colors of the rising sun. As passengers return to the station, they are greeted by colors reminiscent of the setting sun that progress from the hot colors of the late afternoon to the cool blues of the evening.

Perhaps I sound too enthuse about my metro experience. Compared to New York, London, France and other model cities, this encounter with my local transportation system doesn’t seem significant. But it did have me thinking. For one, Miami public transit is not as bad as I thought. Especially with gas prices as high as they are we should be using the metro more. I’m sure none of this is innovative, but my next date: not telling Ms. Ξthos where we are headed, park the car and hop on the metro. Also, next concert? Gather everyone and metro-bound it is! Next theatre play? Yes, the metro! Next amusement ride with my daughter? You guessed it, the metro! Actually, as I’m writing this, the next metro ride will be to see Interpol at The Bank United Center at the University of Miami, which is Wednesday, Sept. 19th. Can’t wait!

I also can’t wait for The MIC (Miami Intermodal Center) to be completed in 2011. Although the MIC will not put Miami next to those other advanced transportation cities, it will take a leap into making Miami a more developed multi-cultural destination. The MIC Program consists of a Rental Car Center, the Miami Central Station, major roadway improvements, the MIA Mover, and a joint development component. It will provide connectivity for residents and visitors of Miami-Dade County and the South Florida region, where none existed, between the transportation systems in the Palm Beaches, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, and the Florida Keys, as well as decongest the streets in and around the busy airport.



Connectivity and decongestion... just what Miami needs!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

When ever I surf on web I come to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Plenty of useful information on melanethos.blogspot.com. I am sure due to busy scedules we really do not get time to care about our health. Let me show you one truth. Recent Research indicates that nearly 80% of all USA grownups are either chubby or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these individuals, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am author of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under difficult training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for fast weight loss.