Friday, October 12, 2007

Stick to the Status Quo

Sta-tus quo: to maintain the status quo is to keep the things the way they presently are. [Works well for others]



As of late I’ve been thinking about several topics to post. I get the “general” idea that blogs are to follow a certain law: if you wanna be cool follow one simple rule, don't mess with the flow, no no stick to the status quo. One problem, now that I’ve gotten to know all my favorite blogs out there and then some, I find it hard to stick to the stuff I know. Even though I appreciate reading about the “same thing” in different arrays and all sorts of angles which makes me want to comment on every single post; how many times can I say “great” on every announcement I like, which also seems to be related to so many others? I don’t quite get how we can get accustomed to the same things, sooner or later it just all seems, I don't know... the same. Some blogs have the formula in their HTML DNA, you know what formula…! Stick to the stuff you know, it is better by far to keep things as they are, don't mess with the flow, no no stick to the status quo. BUT... would it not be great to see:

The Sartorialist write something about the non-smoking generation (do it again).
DISNEYROLLERGIRL share her favorite outfit for roller skating. Or give us her fav recipe.
Face Hunter show us some cool graffiti from all your travels. Even better, post a nice playlist of the music he plays in his myspace. Same goes to Allure (music of her blog), she always selects the right tunes.
Alice Olive post a color picture (she actually has), BUT to share with us what she listens to on her way to work, or one of her many anecdotes (assuming) of her snapping a picture while looking at the beautiful ark detailing at the building as she waits for the perfect lighting and all of a sudden someone pumps into her, would be a nice tale… or something in that variety.
Mode et Utopie sharing her views on Continental Philosophy or Lacanian Psychoanalysis.
Mrs. Fashion letting us know what latest hip-hop beat she’s nodding her head to.
The Clothes Horse sharing some trip with her family and listening to Hawaiian music. Oops, she does did. This is a great example. I really think it encourages posting comments, even though sometimes the comments seem silly… sometimes, at least mine.
Others that are cool and break the rules: libertylondongirl, DIE CULT URE!, Where do I start, Where do I begin? & F&ART
Note: Music blogs are being left alone. I believe the ones I visit are getting bank.

Don’t get me wrong, all that do stick to the status quo do it well, and maybe deep down I’m hoping I can do it as well as they all do… one day. But for now, even if it takes me awhile longer to post, I for one will not fall into re-pe-ti-tion, or at least try (exception: Joy Division)… AND my FLY DVD posts??? They have a purpose.

Taking some well advice from Mr. Federico Slivka Lederer, graphic and multimedia designer. He was interviewed by Josh Spear last week:

Be careful with repetition. It’s not good, from any point you see it. Go away from repetition, because it has a power that attracts us, that seduces us, even though we try to escape from it!

For this reason, you have to be careful; when you find yourself driving through the same streets every day to go to work, when you find yourself doing the same jokes, or stumbling at the same stones, doing the same mistakes...We are all a bit “condemned” to repetition; having that in mind, it may be easier to fight against it, to run to the other side.

Systematic, automatic, mechanic... the world we live in tends towards repetition. It’s the most normal, even if we don’t realize. Or is it that we don’t want to see it?

Repetition is a sickness in some way, but fortunately it has a cure. As you can see, I still don’t have it, since I’m repeating myself a lot... I still haven’t found it, but I suspect the answer is in the dictionary.

We all have our status quo in tune by now, hopefully. It's our foundation, our comfort zone; it's what lets us explore the unknown. It allows us to make mistakes and learn. It lets us create the new. So, before I forget. It’s only fair that I post something way utterly, somewhat uncommon of me:

As I grow up together with my little princess I’m noticing more and more that I want her to be surrounded by things that are "meaningful", I do this unconsciously. As we help her search for her status quo: she’s in a small art school; she’s exposed to music, dance and art. She’s always busy; swimming, tennis and ballet. For the last 3 months I’ve been oppose to her watching HSM… trying to delay the title… watching High School Musical pt. 1 AND 2. I guess I was in denial of somewhat. Ms. Ξ was always trying to convince me in watching it, she was so certain that I would like it. I finally caved in, and to my surprise, she was right… I enjoyed it, maybe even more than my little Ξ. It’s no wonder that Disney is going to the bank with this hit (go slowly on the last two words). What parent would not want their child to watch this well formulated musical, with dance tunes, up-to-date fashion and choreography that makes you want to get up and dance? Even though my daughter will not be having the same “colorful life” as Troy and Gabriella (thankfully), she will grow up with parents that once wanted to be Danny and Sandy, or maybe more like Sid and Nancy, without the drugs and the violence… yeah, that would be Danny and Sandy. Seriously, watching High School Musical just added more to her childish age and made me feel young at heart, which at times it’s hard to maintain, and therefore easily falling more and more into my “echoing” stage which I ALWAYS quickly get out of... thanks to my surroundings!

As a fan of music[als] and being much aware that the following video does not compare to classics as Cabaret, West Side Story, The Wizard of Oz, Moulin Rouge, A Hard Day’s Night, Spinal Tap, Rock ‘n’ Roll High School, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Tommy, John Waters’ Hairspray, Funny Face, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, The Nightmare Before Christmas and many many others…

Without any further ado, I leave you with my latest guilty pleasure:

Stick to the Status Quo as seen on High School Musical pt. 1

[DO NOT] Stick to the Status Quo

So, as there are now more blogs than ice cream flavors and music genres, lets all dip in and explore. Don't forget your spoon (add M&M's) and your iPod (press shuffle).

The limits of my language means the limits of my world.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

10 comments:

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I'm glad you liked my blurp about the weekend. I never know when I am writing whether it makes any difference--I suppose people just had this desire to throw their words into space and hope they streak across like shooting stars, leaving a mark behind, no matter how brief it is...

Victor Castro said...

It's good to read something different and somewhat personal. Btw, dig your latest sketches.

Disneyrollergirl.net said...

Thought-provoking post! Never seen high school musical before - it's a bit like Fame, no?

Victor Castro said...

Now I'm not gonna be able to take the theme song of Fame out of my head. Like Fame... yes, very good comparisons! HSM is a bit more juvenile.

riz said...

The personal becomes political - you illustrate this so well. It's high time i linked to you i think. Sorry I've been remiss in this, i though i had!
Your comments about the status quo are more than apt - I am going to apply it to fashion of course in the future. You undoubtedly rock my world. Oh and thanks for the lovely mention.

María said...

Thank you for saying that.

Victor Castro said...

riz, I’m sure you have mentioned your philosophical and psychoanalytical views in your posts (come to think of it, I know you have). I just thought it might seem hip to mention it. Plus, it helped to get my point across. Funny, YOU THINK it’s time to link me. I’m not worthy, I usually don’t thank people who do link me, just in case they decide to remove me, it would be a less conscious effort… you know, thinking that I never saw it. And since you did mention it, thank you!

WendyB said...

Funny suggestions for bloggers!

SandDancer said...

Thank you for the mention as being cool and rule breaking!

I have wondered if my blog might be more 'successful' if I stuck to one subject, but I can't. And in others I do like the occasional random post that shows their personality more.

TennisSuperStar said...

I like this. It's true, sometimes we all need something completely different, and like you said, not just a different view on something...keep it up!